Monday 12 January 2015

Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi?

I'm sure that this is a question that we've all been asked at some point before, right? Who's the best player in the world? If you could have any player play for your club who would you choose? Most of the time, we will answer with one of these two names; Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. It's an opinion that certainly divides a lot of people, but will there ever be a definite answer?

Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or for the second year running last night, with Messi coming in second place, but there was a big margin between the two players. Some people might argue that this isn't such a big surprise, but to me, it was. To me, there has never been a big margin between the two. They clearly both have different playing styles and are great at what they do for different reasons, but it got me wondering. 

If the public got to vote for who won the trophy, would the outcome have been a lot different? Obviously Manuel Neuer was in the running for the award as well, so could he have snatched it? The results of the voting that have been released after clearly show there was a lot of bias. Ronaldo only voted for his Real Madrid team mates and Messi voted for his Argentina or Barcelona team mates. Neither voted for the other which isn't really a big surprise as they probably both knew that it would come down to the two of them, but surely it should be a better voting system.

The coaches were just as bad. The coach of Brazil chose Neymar as his first choice and the German coach made all three of his choices Germans. I understand the whole 'backing your team and supporting your players' but really?

I just don't understand how it's a fair competition if everyone is just voting for their friends and team mates. That's like being in a P.E. class and being asked to pick your own team, everyone picks their friends first. It could just be me, but I think that a possible change in voting is needed so that the end result is fair. I can't say accurate because one of the best two did eventually win it. 

The one strange vote that a lot of people seem to be picking up on though is the vote of England manager, Roy Hodgson. He didn't pick either Ronaldo or Messi, but instead used his votes for: Javier Mascherano, Philipp Lahm and Neuer. The second and third votes aren't really that much of a shock, possibly the order of them? But I don't think a lot of people agree with Mascherano being picked as his first choice. I will admit that I wouldn't have made that choice either. 

Oh well, another awards ceremony, another year. I wonder if Ronaldo and Messi will still be leading the pack this time next year. Ronaldo does deserve the award in my opinion and congratulations to him; he's worked hard to get to where he is. 

Oh, and in case you're wondering, and if I ever got the chance, my three votes would go to: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Gareth Bale...

No comments:

Post a Comment