Wednesday 25 February 2015

Garry Schofield Interview

Earlier today I got the chance to sit down and have a chat with Garry Schofield, ex-Hull FC and Great Britain rugby league legend who is also a member of the British Rugby League Hall of Fame and has an OBE to his name. Here's what he had to say:

What was the greatest moment of your playing career?
The greatest moment stands out quite clearly, and it was when we beat Australia in Melbourne, second test, 33-10. It was not just the reason of the result itself because we were getting very, very close to the Australians, we'd beaten the Australians. We were unlucky in the first test when we got beat and I know the score line might not reflect that, but if Martin Offiah hadn't been caught twice from behind, which didn't happen very often in Martin's career, but anyway... But then the second test, the significance of it was quite clear. The Ashes laid on it because it was only a pre-match test series and also, as well, there was about between 8 and 10 thousand English fans had come over to support us and they believed in us that we could win this Ashes and so did the players as well.

The night itself; sensational. The atmosphere from the British fans was something that will live with me forever, without a shadow of a doubt. But, also, there were two particular sides to it as well. We were 22-0 up at half time, and who'd have thought that for Great Britain to be 22-0 up against the Aussies? And then at half time, it was the shortest speech we'd ever had from a coach, at any level, because quite clearly, the players, did we believe it? No, we didn't. I can reassure you, we didn't believe that we were 22-0 up at half time. And all the coach said to us was, he was great Malcolm, he really was: "Same again lads". That's it. Nothing else said. The dressing room was all silent, and we went out for the second half, and everybody knows what happened, we ended up winning the test match, 33-10. So, that's my greatest memory and also to have a man of the match performance and as captain, it's something incredible. I don't like saying this but I don't think it'll ever happen again, where we beat the Australians 33-10, but it was my best memory and my greatest moment in my career.

And then the opposite of that, what as the worst?
The worst? Well, it's got to be when I was at the black and whites when I got dropped for the '85 cup final. I was very, very disappointed, because the reason from my point of view that I was disappointed was that I had played in all the rounds, I won the quarter-final for Hull, we had a replay at Naughton Park. We drew the first game at 6 a piece, went to Naughton Park on a Wednesday night, people didn't really think we could do it. Anyway, we won the quarter final replay 19-12. I scored the match winning try, I kicked 3 or 4 goals, and the semi-final we played against Castleford. So, to be dropped and to be told, 48 hours before the Challenge Cup final in '85 against the mighty Wigan, it's gone down as my biggest disappointment by not starting the final, but also that, as well, we lost. We all know the black and whites have never won at Wembley. You know, we were going out very confident and yeah, even though I got on for the last 20 minutes, it didn't really mean a lot to me because at the huge disappointment of being dropped just 48 hours before.

Do you remember your debut; your first ever match in rugby league?
I do indeed. I remember it as though it was yesterday. It was against Warrington at the Boulevard. The game itself finished at 22-22, a draw. And what an introduction it was to the professional game because to come straight from the amateur game, it was all new to me. You know, playing against senior professionals, so the experience was huge. I was playing against the Great Britain centre at the time in Ronnie Duane and what an introduction it was because for 80 minutes, he just belted me and made me black and blue and gave me an introduction to what professional rugby league was going to be about week in, week out. So, it wasn't the best of debuts. Did I play well? I wouldn't say so, but it was a great experience and Ronnie Duane gave me a great introduction to professional rugby league by giving me a real good hiding, there's no two ways about that. 

Have you done managing before? Was it a good experience?
I've had two stints at coaching. I wouldn't say they were too successful because I lasted 13 games at Huddersfield; 2 victories out of 13, so that didn't last too long and that was in 1998. Then I went to Barrow in 2011 and that lasted for 5 games, with 3 victories out of 5 games. So from a coaching point of view, has it been successful? You wouldn't say so, but it was a good experience. 

Would you ever do it again?
At professional level, not with the seniors, no. I would like to be involved from a point of view where the experience I've got, I'd like to be involved with the kids from, say, 12 to 18 years of age, and give them that experience because I think my philosophy on the game is a little bit different to how the game is played. The game itself is copied too much, it's become a little bit more robotic and it's become a little bit more where players are not allowed to express themselves. So, to be involved with kids at 12 to 18 years of age, and just give them a little bit different thinking about how the game should be played, how they should be playing what they see, playing with more awareness and also to play with more vision, then I would like to bring that experience to the industry. 

If you had any advice for people starting to play the game, what would you say?
First would be, always listen to your coaches, to a certain extent, but second, always back your own ability and your own vision as a player because if you let people take away what you've got, then it's not going to work out for you. Thirdly, just make sure you enjoy yourselves and do everything with a smile on your face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment